Tenille Campbell on Photography, Indigenous Sexuality & Single Parenting
Celebrating Indigenous people’s heritage, accomplishments, and beauty through the arts including photography and written word counteracts the negative stereotypes in popular media. Tenille Campbell does exactly that, and goes one step further by openly exploring the concepts of Indigenous sexuality and love.
Tenille’s voice in the arts includes Sweetmoon Photography, the blog Tea & Bannock, and her new book, #IndianLovePoems.
On today’s episode, Tenille brings her humor and wit to discuss being a self-taught photographer, and how she balances her roles as a PhD candidate, single mother, business owner, and creative.
“I wanted to have a collective where I could look at another Indigenous women and be like “you get it” and they would “get it.” And I wouldn’t have to explain why we don’t photograph ceremony or why we’re not going to photograph someone wearing a headdress that they imported from China.” Tenille Campbell on creating Tea & Bannock
Listen to this episode
Today on the Women Warriors Podcast
- Growing up in a political family (4:40)
- How she started in photography (5:32)
- How she learned the art of photography (7:06)
- Why her vision as a photographer is important (7:33)
- Why she started her blog, Tea & Bannock (8:56)
- Creating community and support for Indigenous female photographers (10:34)
- Her favorite project on Tea & Bannock (11:43)
- Her vision behind #IndianLovePoem (12:40)
- Her first love (14:50)
- The importance of growing up in a sober household (15:58)
- Her struggles as an Indigenous academic (16:58)
- What motherhood has taught her (17:38)
- Her wish for her daughter (19:06)
- How she balances being a single mom, academic, author, and business owner (20:40)
- Raising her daughter in the Dene and Metis culture (23:00)
- The woman she wants to spend the day with (25:22)
- How she’s celebrating her 33 rd birthday (28:00)
Selected Links from this Episode
- World Indigenous Business Forum
- Meadow Lake Tribal Council
- Sweet Moon Photography
- Tea & Bannock
- Blog Post – Just Make Out A Little
- Dene Games
- Melody Charlie Photography
What did you learn about from this podcast?
Connect with Tenille Campbell
Or, ask your local bookseller to bring it in.
Love the show? Let us know!
If you appreciate the content in this podcast please do us a favour and leave a review on ITunes. If you don’t know how to do it, please google “how to rate or review a podcast.” By leaving a review our podcast will be displayed on iTunes New and Noteworthy and we can reach a larger audience. Please subscribe on iTunes to our show, and share our episodes with your friends and family!
Love our content and want to support us …
Commit to supporting us on our Patreon account! Your support earns you access to the Women Warriors community and merchandise. Depending on your pledge amount, $1 per month to $40 per month you can get Women Warriors merchandise and/or the opportunity for a personal Skype call with the potential to be featured on the podcast. You’ll also have the opportunity to shape the future of the show, and chat with me, and like-minded people on the community feed page. Go to patreon.com/women_warriors.
Learn more about the Women Warriors Eight Weeks to Healthy Living Program on our Women Warriors website. Please inquire about getting this program in your community by contacting us through the website.