Special Episode: What is Women Warriors with Co-founder, Dr. Sonja Wicklum
Dr. Sonja Wicklum is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Calgary. She has extensive experience in rural family medicine, preventive health, nutrition education, and obesity management. She is the co-founder of Women Warriors, and is passionate about preventing illness and contributing to a great Canadian healthcare system.
Listen to this episode
Today on the Women Warriors Podcast
• Why we started the Women Warriors program.
• Her experience creating Indigenous based wellness programming.
• Creating the Canadian Aboriginal Nutrition Deck (CANdeck).
• Her role in obesity medicine.
• Her top three obesity myths.
• Explanation of weight bias.
• Why Indigenous peoples have a higher rate of type II diabetes.
• Her advice as a family medicine doctor to help Indigenous patients work better with their doctors.
• Long-term vision for Women Warriors.
Selected Links from this Episode
- Department of Family Medicine – University of Calgary
- Alberta Government Recreation and Physical Activity Division
Connect with Sonja
Love the show? Let us know!
If you appreciate the content in this podcast please rate, review & subscribe on iTunes.
Learn more about the Women Warriors Eight Weeks to Healthy Living Program on our Women Warriors website. Please inquire about getting this program in your community by contacting us through the website.