Helen Oro on Beading, International Fashion Shows & the Dangers of the Fashion World
Helen Oro is Plains Cree from Pelican Lake First Nation and the founder of Helen Oro Designs Inc. She takes her traditional First Nation beadwork and adorns modern day accessories such as heels, sunglasses, clutch purses etc. She also produces fashion shows creating opportunities for Indigenous people aspiring to pursue careers in the fashion and model world. Internationally recognized for her designs and work, Helen aims to create a positive image for Indigenous women everywhere.
Listen to this episode
On today’s episode Helen shares:
- How she started beading.
- Her childhood and teenage years described as the “dark ages.”
- How motherhood changed her life.
- Her first piece of beading and following her passion.
- How beading helps her focus as an adult with ADHD.
- The starting point of joining beading and fashion shows.
- Her international travel experiences for fashion shows.
- Australia and Canada exchange fashion shows.
- London Fashion show and protesting #NoDAPL.
- Producing fashion show and working with First Nations youth.
- Dangers of the fashion world – fake model calls.
- Latest projects – MMIW Fashion Show in BC and Western Canada Fashion Week in Edmonton.
- The most challenging aspect of producing fashion shows.
- Her feature in Flare – #HowIMadeIt
Selected Links from this Episode
- The Indigenous Runway Project
- Ribbon Skirts by Tala Tootoosis
- London Fashion Week
- Saskatoon fashion designer takes part in massive London anti-Trump rally
- MMIW Fashion Show hosted by Fashion Speaks International
- Western Canada Fashion Week
- #HowIMadeIt Flare Magazine
- Sask Shop, The Centre Mall on 8th Street, Saskatoon, SK
Connect With Helen
What did you learn about from this podcast?
Love the show?
If you appreciate the content in this podcast please rate, review & subscribe on iTunes.
Learn more about the Women Warriors Eight Weeks to Healthy Living Program. Please inquire about getting this program in your community by contacting us through the website.