I am from Tsuut’ina Nation and I self-identify as Sarcee. I grew up on reserve and moved to Calgary Sept 2017 to continue my studies at the Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) Bachelor of Arts, 2nd year.
Maria is a student and story transcriber for the Tsuut’ina Language Commission. She is a loving Aunty to 6 nieces and nephews. She joined Women Warriors to participate in a program aimed at indigenous women only, and learn more about personal fitness and nutrition in a group setting.
- Types of physical activity you enjoyed at Woman Warriors: I loved to concentrate on my form in the boot-camp, on the choreography in the Zumba course, and my stance in the kickboxing.
- Amount of time you exercise daily or weekly: If I do not do 30 mins of activity a day which I try to do, then I skip a day and do 30 mins every couple of days.
- Are you a member of a gym, in a sports team, or do fitness at home? I wish there was a gym that was directly for the Woman Warrior program…. I would go to it! I missed out on sports in my life, but always wanted to be a part of a team. So far, I only do fitness at home.
- How do you schedule fitness into your day (i.e. get up early to workout): I have to get doing it. I make sure I have water near me to hydrate, and I start with a warm up on my treadmill. I up my speed by the last 15 minutes of 30 minutes, and then after that I do floor work on my yoga mat. I watch a show on Netflix on my laptop, and I try to do my work out before an hour long episode ends. Sometimes, I watch two 30 minute episodes if it’s a short series.
- Name one daily practise you do to show self-love (i.e. meditate, journal): I have been journaling since I was young, keeping track of my feelings and going back to them when I need to remember a feeling. Over time I get to see how much I have changed or grew! I also take time to shower and applying cream on after. I pay extra care with cream on my feet, it is the best way I honour my body. I heard once, that the feet are the ones that ‘carry’ us all day, and to massage them gives your whole body a root source of good feelings (especially after a hard day’s work!)
- Your favorite treat or meal: I love having a smoothie as a treat, with frozen fruits and greens like avocados, kale, spinach, celery, cucumber. For a meal, it is spaghetti with a splash of hot sauce.
- Your philosophy on healthy living: My dad told me some good advice he learned from his dad, and his dad’s dad. He said, “Wake up with the Sun. It is who we are as a spiritual people to rise with the Sun.” To get a proper sleep is my philosophy along with this, it gives me an internal clock on the inside which feels natural.
- Words of inspiration for women trying to get healthy or more active: Whatever your age, or body shape you are, seek to ‘find the joy’ in your own body. This will lead you to a happiness in your own skin that will shine from the inside out. When you feel good about yourself, it shows on the outside.